WASHINGTON – Senate Caucus on International Narcotics Control Chairman Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.) and Co-Chairman Chuck Grassley (R-Iowa) today announced a hearing Wednesday, July 18, at 2:30 p.m. on prescription drug abuse in the United States.
According to a recent survey by Monitoring the Future—a University of Michigan study of U.S. students and young adults funded by the National Institute on Drug Abuse—prescription drugs are the second-most abused category of drugs after marijuana.
- Sen. Feinstein
- Sen. Grassley
- Rep. Mary Bono Mack (R-Calif.), co-founder of the Congressional Caucus on Prescription Drug Abuse
- Gil Kerlikowske, director of the Office of National Drug Control Policy
- Joseph Rannazzisi, deputy assistant administrator with the Drug Enforcement Administration
- John Eadie, director of the Prescription Monitoring Program Center of Excellence at Brandeis University
- Avi Israel, a parent advocate in Buffalo, N.Y.
- Vernon Porter, a parent advocate in Orange County, Calif.
- Joseph Harmison, owner of Harmison Pharmacies in Arlington, Texas
Senate Caucus on International Narcotics Control hearing: Responding to the Prescription Drug Abuse Epidemic
2:30 p.m., Wednesday, July 18
Dirksen Senate Office Building, Room 562
A live stream of the hearing will be available online at www.drugcaucus.senate.gov.