Washington, DC – A panel of Iowans working to combat drug abuse will provide testimony at a field hearing of the U.S. Senate Caucus on International Narcotics Control in Des Moines on October 27. The hearing, organized and led by Sen. Chuck Grassley (R-Iowa), will provide insight and information on the needs of Iowa and local communities when it comes to federal drug control policy.
“The purpose of bringing these leaders and families together is to hear firsthand the effects fentanyl has had on Iowans and the tools needed to combat those effects. The testimony will provide important insight on the dangers of fentanyl as well as the ways it reaches the United States and our communities in Iowa,” Grassley said.
The witnesses will include experts and professionals from Homeland Security Investigations and the Iowa Department of Public Safety. Three Iowa families who have lost loved ones to fentanyl poisoning will be testifying. The Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) has also been invited to testify.
*** FIELD HEARING NOTICE ***
The Senate Caucus on International Narcotics Control, co-chaired by Sen. Chuck Grassley, will hold a field hearing titled, “Deadly Distribution: How Fentanyl Crosses Borders and Claims Lives,” on Thursday, October 27, 2022 in Des Moines, Iowa.
WHEN: Thursday, October 27, 2022, 10 a.m. CST
WHERE: U.S. District Court, Southern District of Iowa
123 East Walnut St.
Des Moines, Iowa
- Steven Cagen, Assistant Director for Countering Transnational Organized Crime, Homeland Security Investigations
- Stephan Baynes, Commissioner of Iowa Department of Public Safety
- Deric Kidd of Des Moines, Iowa, whose son Sebastian died of fentanyl poisoning on July 30, 2021 at the age of 17
- Brooke Anderson of Shelby, Iowa, whose son Devin died of fentanyl poisoning on February 24, 2022 at the age of 23
- Laurie Arwine of Cedar Rapids, Iowa, whose son Bailey died of fentanyl poisoning on April 4, 2022 at the age of 22
Members of the media who wish to attend the media availability must RSVP. Please RSVP directly to email@example.com.